That Helicopter! It's Mine!

Anything else that does not fit in another category.

Moderator: Ron Spiker

That Helicopter! It's Mine!

Postby Captain Cosmic » Sat Apr 12, 2003 3:32 am

I was shocked and pleased to see THE WASP (formally known as G-WASP) displayed as the website's display icon. I bought the machine from Nigel Minchin almost a year ago (24 April 2002). I am looking forward to putting a lot of hours on it. Unfortunately, right now I am in Vasteras, Sweden, and it is with Stephen Payne-Roberts in Rugby, England, because it has that thrust bearing problem and it rides real ruff.

I liked the way THE WASP looked like an insect. When I bought the machine from Nigel Minchin, in England, I was told by the U.K. C.A.A. that I could not keep it on the United Kingdom "G" registration (G-WASP) unless I was a UK citizen or legal resident. Do you believe everything you hear from government authorities? I did.

It turns out they (the UK CAA) were wrong. All European Union residents can own boats and aircraft registered in other EU member states. BUT I found out their mistake too late. I thought about registering it as an "SE" which is Sweden, where I live, but then I started finding out about the EU rules and mime would have been the first B2-B registered here which would have been a real pain.

I also found out that I could register it as an American Citizen to the "N" registration and still fly all over Europe on my American Ticket, and so the G-WASP has become N2052Y. I am painting over the "G-" and writing the word THE instead. That way I get to keep the color scheme and it becomes THE WASP. (And now you know the rest of the story :wink: )

Once (IF) I get the machine flyable, I plan to fly it home to Sweden from England. The English Channel should be only about 20 minutes of open water and there will be some island hopping over Denmark.

I am glad Nigel Minchin let me know this site existed. I hope it becomes a productive and useful site. It has already helped me with the thrust bearing problem.
Captain Cosmic

WASP

Postby Steve Chenoweth » Sat Apr 12, 2003 9:31 am

Thanks for the story behind THE WASP. Is this also the same helicopter that was used in one of the James Bond movies?

I hope you get your ship flying soon. I'm placing another post in the Servicing and Maintaining section regarding further diagnosis of my vertical hop problem.
Steve Chenoweth
Site Admin

The James Bond Machine?

Postby Captain Cosmic » Sat Apr 12, 2003 1:41 pm

I am not sure if mine is the actual machine used in either of the Bond movies. I was originally told that the G-WASP was the machine used in "You Only Live Twice". Then, after I mention that I bought the WASP, I have been told by a number of people that my machine was the one used in that movie. I asked one guy why he thought so and he said he had hired the pilot who flew the helicopter in the movie.

I was sortof surprised BUT I found out how to get the proof and it is going to take about 6 months. I have to send the serial number to EON Productions and it will take about 6 months before the historian will find the paperwork. If it is not the ship used in the movie, then it is its sister ship.
Captain Cosmic

Return to General Topics